Saturday, May 23, 2015

A Couple of Bachmann Projects

Inspired by a post about some Bachmann maintenance work on the New York Central Train Layout blog, I thought I'd show some recent things I've done with Bachmann locos. These DC-only locos can be found in the $50 range on the web; you can then shop for your preference in DCC decoders that will go in the 8-pin sockets on recent Bachmanns.

First is a RailAmerica/TP&W GP38-2 that's come into the shop for some work before it's ready for the layout. I discussed it and showed it new in my last post. It's been disassembled, with the chassis and intake vents painted grimy black. It will get Kadees in Kadee boxes, sunshades, and a pilot plow before it's ready for the road, as well as a Digitrax DZ126PS decoder.

Next is a Katy GP40. Katy's original GP40s didn't have dynamics, but in the 1980s they leased a good many from Conrail that did. 245 is one of the ex Conrail units. Here it is with just the chassis and intake vents painted grimy black:

Here it is with Kadees, sunshades, and a pilot plow, as well as a Details West brass horn to replace the broken one that came with the loco. I was delighted to find a hobby shop that still had a bottle of Floquil MKT green, a perfect match:
I have my eye on a Bachmann Conrail unit for next month's budget.

1 comment: