Saturday, November 14, 2015

BNSF Is Growing On Me

I moved out to Los Angeles in 1968 and started railfanning the Santa Fe right away. Amtrak came along and the first yellowbonnets turned up:

In the background you can see the work equipment involved in the 1970s relocation of Sullivan's Curve.

Then things really got interesting, first, with the abortive SP-SF merger and the Kodachrome paint scheme:

Not to mention all the new and rebuilt power. Then we got the return of the warbonnets:

But I don't know what it was after that -- maybe the worn-out patch paint jobs after 1995 got too depressing:

For a while I kept telling myself that all the look-alike orange GEs were too boring:

But lately something's changed.

There are lots of little differences even among the GEs, and somehow the light catches them a little differently all day. Looks like I'm a fan!

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog entry John. Really liked the photography. Some great looking locomotives and background scenery. I've always had a place in my heart for the Santa Fe. The war bonnet F units were my first engines and my introduction into the hobby. I do like the BNSF "swoosh" lettering paint jobs. Got to see them early and an old war bonnet or two at CSX Fairburn Intermodal Yard in GA. BNSF intermodal trains were worked by CSX at this location. Glad to see you are back on good terms with your home road.

    ReplyDelete