Sunday, March 13, 2016

Restoration Job Done

A while ago, I put up a post on an Ambroid phosphate car I picked up at a swap meet for 50 cents. It had been very competently assembled, but it was pretty beat up.

I added weight and chiseled off the wood channels on the side, which had been broken pretty badly. Once the channels were off, I gave the "steel" surfaces of the kit two coats of sanding sealer and replaced the wood channels with styrene. Then I gave it a new coat of paint, which spruced it up pretty well.

There weren't any decals with the car. The original kit had ACL decals with it, but I found one or two sites on the web that talked about this car and said the decals weren't much good (like all 1950s decals). Looking at the lettering on a copy of the instruction sheet I found on line told me that I wouldn't be able to use any ACL lettering currently available. Eventually I decided not to try to reconstruct things with alphabet decals and just used some decals I had made up for my own roadname.

Although I can't see how the Los Feliz and North Western could use phosphate cars, I weathered it like the ones that still run in Florida:

In part, I was inspired by new Youtube videos of the Franklin & South Manchester. There's something fascinating about models lettered for the home layout that have been heavily weathered.

The loco switching it is another project I recently finished, a Walthers RS-2 with a decoder:

For whatever reason, this run hasn't sold well, and they're available very cheaply in various places on the web. Not least at Walthers themselves. I just ordered a Rock Island unit for a little over $50 at Walthers.

Newer Walthers runs have 9-pin DCC sockets. These have lots of problems on both Athearn and Walthers models. The 9-pin socket on the UP unit was bad, and I wound up pulling out the whole PC board and putting in a hard wired decoder, which of course led to its own set of complications.

But it's done.

2 comments:

  1. Love what you did with the phosphate car John! The unique car lettered and weathered for your pike is a work of rolling art. Nice job! Interesting info on the RS2s. Glad you were able to get your engines running properly. The issues you described may be the reason behind the poor sales. Art imitating real life if you will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on this model rebuild ! There are so many old models that someone spent so many hours building going to waste being transported back and forth from one train meet to the next. Glad to see this one finding a new home with you. I have one of these built in S Scale as some of the old kits were also produced in S SZcale and O scale also I think. How about the floor? I would like to add brake detail to mine - did you on this model ?

    ReplyDelete