Thursday, March 8, 2018

My Seven-Unit Consist

Neal M and I both responded to John R's challenge to set up a 7-unit consist. However, John had some difficulties posting the photos Neal and I sent. Neal went ahead and ran his on his blog, so I decided I'd run the ones I took.

It looks like all three of us found that a 7-engine consist is pushing things. I’d had my hands on N&W units, so I used those. However, my layout doesn’t have many places where I can show 7 units all at once. Normally I have a hard time shooting 4 together, so it is what it is! The locos are two Atlas/Kato RS-11s, one Atlas Classic RS-11, One Proto 1990s GP9, One Walthers Proto GP30, one Atlas Trainman RS-32, and one Athearn dummy Train Master.

Like Neal, I decided not to try to speed match all seven, but I did put them in a single consist. Because they weren't speed matched, and a couple had dirty wheels, the consist crawled along for only a short distance. I found, as John did, that seven locos are hard to accommodate in yards and engine terminals.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks John! These photos were too good not be published. Appreciate the follow up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking consist!!! I like the mix of units in the consist as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics John! Thanks for joining the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos of the 7 units in spite of space limitations to be able to show them all off. Fantastic looking layout.

    After reading about all the issues running 7 locos together either in command mode or conventional I have the thought that why should something so simple be so problematic. Granted 7 is a bit much, but it just seems like it should be far easier to do a lash up than it is more so in the command mode given all the advancements of late.

    Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete