Monday, December 24, 2018

PCCM 54 LF&NW Mail and Express Part 2

Building the train is a major project. It took me about an hour. Working a switchlist isn't for everyone. I had a few friends over some years ago who considered themselves "serious" model railroaders, but none of them had the focus or patience to run a switchlist with more than a few moves. It was an educational event for all of us. Those guys never came back!

I keep learning new things as I feel my way through some of the more specialized operating features on the layout. One big thing is that the Bachmann S-2 that I used to set out the RPO and coach was too light to pull the long station tracks and switch out the baggage-express cars. An Atlas FM H16-44 did the job, although its early factory decoder was noisy.

This is a PRR box-express car that I kitbashed from two Athearn cars.
Somehow without meaning to, and without knowing what I did, I selected the black-and-white option on my camera. Now I'll have to look up how to fix this. But the photos are interesting.
I'll finish up in my next post.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work John. I'm kind of a fan of the B&W photos. Takes you back a little and I think it works just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying this in both color and B&W! The B&W photo are actually a very nice touch that remind me of the bygone era of the trains being modeled. That kitbashed PRR express car is really sharp. The UP unit looks right at home as a station switcher. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete