Sunday, January 13, 2019

The Roco Crane

A vintage product I've had in the purgatory box for some time is a Roco crane. I'm not sure if AHM ever brought it in as part of its line. AHM did issue a somewhat similar crane that's illustrated in this thread at the Model Railroader forum, but there are enough differences that I don't think it's the same product. Mine seems to be the same as a Roco 46331 in this eBay listing.

I started the project of repainting and lettering it for Union Pacific 900310 a good many years ago.

I got as far as painting the body green with silver roof. But a couple of weeks ago I ran into the project again in the purgatory box, and almost at the same time I discovered I had Micro Scale UP decals and also barrier stripe decals on hand to finish the darn thing. This is great, because the cost of decals has gone up exponentially, and this meant I didn't have to order any. So I added body-mount couplers and attached the trucks with screws.
It sorta-kind represents a 250-ton crane from the steam era that's been dieselized. I don't think it's meant to follow a particular prototype, and Roco in recent times seems to have been marketing it as a European item. But it's fun, and most important, it's now finished!

4 comments:

  1. Nice work on the crane! That's close enough to the real one. Looks great on the layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! The safety stripes are really eye catching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you’re right about Roco bringing your crane out as a separate release from AHM. Looks really sharp! Nice save from the Purgatory Box!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The crane came out great! Very impressive paint and decal work.

    ReplyDelete