Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Ugh, More Rewiring

I upgraded my DCC system from an NCE PowerCab to an SB5 once it became plain that even as a single operator, adding load to the system in the form of sound locos, current-extending capacitors, stationary and lighting decoders required more power than the PowerCab could handle. Not long before I upgraded to the SB5, I finished the job of extending a 14AWG DCC power bus around the whole layout. However, this simply supplemented, it didn't replace, the 22AWG DC block wiring that was as old as 30 years.

What I found was there was a current drain in one of the oldest parts of the layout, not enough to trip the overload on the SB5, but enough to lower the voltage in the area to 3-5 volts from the 14 needed for full DCC. As best I can figure, some insulation on the old wiring had worn through, or an unprotected solder joint on the old wiring was close enough to another that there was a near short.

So I had a long troubleshooting effort: for each isolated former DC block, I had to disconnect the former DC wiring until I got a reading of 0 volts on my multimeter. Then I reconnected that block to the new DCC power bus terminal strip. So I gradually restored the main line to 14 volts all around. Here's a photo illustrating the effort, a multimeter with a UP hi-rail ruck right over a new solder joint on the rail, with a foam scenery liftout behind it.

I still have to reconnect some sidings and industrial leads to the DCC power bus.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work. I went thru the same testing as some areas I wasn't getting the full 14V needed for the DCC. I soldered rail joiners and made sure the drops were secure. I went with 20AWG for the drops, then switched to the 22AWG as it was overkill. My track buss wire is 14GA Stranded. Layout runs just fine and I'm sure yours will as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on tackling this time consuming job and seeing it thru to completion.

    ReplyDelete