Sunday, April 19, 2020

Lockdown Projects: More Scenery

One thing I've discovered is that Sculptamold, an inexpensive and very useful scenery product, is harder and harder to find. You can't find it in local hobby shops any more around here, and you can no longer get it at places like Michael's, either. I tend not to think of it as something to order on line, but things change, I guess, and since I can't go out anyhow, I ordered a 3-pound bag off eBay and made some good progress with it on scenery. I mixed it with some acrylic pigments I got on sale at Michael's not long before the virus.

Here is some scenery surface I added in the German part of my layout:

I posted this in the German Model Railways Facebook group and got some good advice on relocating the counterweights in front of the signal cabin more realistically.

I installed a Bar Mills Bull's Salvage and added some junkyard castings from various sources:

I was inspired by a 2012 visit to this junkyard in Chemurgic, CA:
This is actually something of a railfan destination, since at least at the time, it had some ex SP SD9s tucked away in back.

Finally, I made some progress on the East Slope climb to Moffat Tunnel, "dirting in" some Mountains in Minutes rocks.. Here's the Before picture:

And here's the After:
Now I can start to add talus, other ground cover, and vegetation. However, although this segment had been removable up to now, it looks like the added weight of the new scenery means it'll have to remain in place from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment