Sunday, December 20, 2020

More Building Flats

I've been working on a large view block made of building flats to try to bring some order out of chaos on the West Coast peninsula of my layout, again inspired by George Sellios, I put together this kitbash of Kingmill, Trackside Flats, and scratchbuilt building flats. As usual, I back up the flats with a 3-dimensional rear extension about two inches deep so they'll stand alone without needing to be placed against a wall. Now I've begun to assemble them into larger groups glued together with Elmer's Glue that can be moved around if needed.
The layout is in a semi-finsished basement. The view block does nothing to hide the HVAC ducts if you look upward, but it does hide less somplete areas of the layout The items in the foreground are still pretty disorganized, and you can see both European and US equipment. I hope to get this better sorted out in the coming year. Still, I follow several German YouTubers who mix European and US equipment as well.

Here is the Gold Medal Flour building before I got things better figured out into a view block. The billboard has also since been incorporated into another group of low-relief buildings.

This was inspired by a building on the Franklin & South Manchester. I took the idea, but I followed it only loosely.
I think Sellios and I started with the same thing, a set of ghost sign images on a forum. I printed them out on ordinary paper and glued them to a basic shape made from foamcore. I also printed the roof fom images of roll roofing on a texture site. I also got images to make up the ends from texture sites as well. Ghost sign and texture sites are a great source of model ideas and inexpensive raw materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment