Sunday, February 21, 2021

Progress At Malabar

Malabar is located on a foot-wide shelf in a storaage room next to the main layout room. I've slowly been bringing it up to speed over the last few years. The latest addition is a Thomas Yorke Industrial Engine House kit from Dr Ben. (The kit appears to br mainly Yorke's plaster castings for walls and details, with roof and doors re-engineered by Dr Ben.) It's been one of the most challenging kits I've done, but it's finally shaping up.

It was a tight squeeze. Before I ordeered the kit, I printed out the plans and glujed them to cardboard to mock up whether it would fit. It did, barely. Once it was in place, I had to trim about half an inch off the finished roof on the back to squeeze it in, but it all came out OK in the end.

I still have to add the doors.

The depot area is to the left of the engine house. Left to right are a partly visible scratchbhuilt California barn; an SS Ltd Rock Island boxcar depot; and a Bachmann boxcar section house. Behind them are a Yorke bar and a Kingmill building flat. I'll be adjusting their location as time goes on.
Next steps will involve more dirting-in of the engine house and various details in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment