Sunday, July 4, 2021

More Experiments With Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color

Since my last post, I've looked at more ways to use Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color. In some ways, it's similar to using acryhlic washes with water, but it has less surface tension , and even if it isn't going into fine molded lines, it snuggles up against relief detail closely. For instance, I tried some on an Atlas Austria FP7:
I had previously upgraded it with a Juneco winterization hatch, Shell Scale number board numbers, and Micro Scale kick plates, with some weathering. I applied the Panel Line Accent to the side louvers, sand fills, and handrails. I think it brought the handrails out very well in particular and made them look a little more as if they're separate.

Here's an old AHM vinegar tank csr from the 1960s. With the good luck on the diesel handrails, I decided to try it on the raised details on this model.

I thought it did a very good job with these. The YouTube videos I've watched say the dark brown shade I'm using is best for yellow and orange surfaces, and it certainly worked well here.

Next I had a couple of Chooch stone wall sheets. I was always hesitant to use them, because out of the bubble pack, they seemed too uniform and blah. But I first hit them with random shots of Scalecoat Flat Concrete from a spay can to vary the color a little and then went over the mortar lines with the Panel Line Accent Color.

That was an improvement, but it led me to try more of a full George Sellios treatment. I brushed on diluted Elmer's Glue and then sprinkled the surface with Woodland Scenics fine turf. Then I traced out definite lines with full strength Elmer's Glue and prewssed Woodland Scenics coarse turf into them.
This was just what I needed to push on with more scenery work in this area.

What I'm finding is that the plastic modelers on YouTube, who seem to concentrate on using the product for aircraft and spaceship models, aren't looking at the whole range of uses for it in model railroading. I'm going to try it out next on some mechanical reefers.

No comments:

Post a Comment