Sunday, July 17, 2022

C&O Locos Added To JMRI

My family moved to the Washington, DC area while I was in high school, when I had enough independence to start serious railfanning. It made a lot of new railroads "home roads" for my modeling interest as well, including the C&O, which had just merged with the B&O, so I saw both roads' power as they began to use their equipment interchangeably. Over the years I've tracked down what C&O power generally from those years that I could find. It's something of a milestone that all but one have had decoders installed and are now in JMRI.
C&O 2314 is an Atlas U23B. Unfortunately, I left the Washington area before the Chessie System paint.
C&O 4821 is an Atlas GP38 from the 2000s with the dual mode decoder. These are a little noisy, but especially now when there's usually background noise from sound locos on the layout, it isn't noticeable. I have enough of the Atlas locos with dual mode decoders that it would be too expensive and too much trouble to replace them if they otherwise work.
C&O 5750 is an Atlas Classic GP7.
C&O 7034 is a Bachmann F7 from the 2010s.
C&O 8203 is an Atlas Silver U30B. With the speaker enclosure, the only DCC only decoder that would fit was a Digitrax DZ126PS
C&O 8570 is one of the latest Walthers Mainline SD50s with sound. An SD50 in Chessie is well after my time as a Washington area railfan, but I guess it's one of those memories I wish I'd had. I hope Walthers one day does an SD50 in Seaboard System.

No comments:

Post a Comment