Sunday, August 14, 2022

Grand Trunk GP9 Update

I first posted on this model in June of last year. Since then, I've gotten around to ordering a winterization hatch and something I can use for CN barrel-type spark arresters. These are parts from Apogee Loco Works with the upper exhaust pipes cut down. I painted the winterization hatch with Testors Spray Enamel Bright Blue, which is a fairly close match to the GTW blue on the model.

I've looked at the 16 ex Trand Trunk Railway GP9s that went to the Grand Trunk Western in Michigan pretty closely. Photos indicate that in the late 1980s, many went back to operate on the Central Vermont. They variously lost their spark arresters, winterization hatches, and dynamic brakes, and some even were relettered with the CV wet noodle.

CV 4449 is from the same series as the Walthers prototype, but as of the late 1980s, it's lost both its winterization hatch and its spark arresters and is lettered CV. If I get another of the Walthers units, it'll be relettered for CV.

No comments:

Post a Comment