Sunday, September 25, 2022

Making A Micro Compatible With T-TRAK

I've had an N scale Inglenook micro layout in progress for quite a while. Recently I put it up on top of a bookshelf to work on it next to a T-TRAK module.
With it next to a T-TRAK module, I inevitably began to think about how things might be if I could connect the two together. I had already made a start by linking them to a Digitrax DCS-52 command station on the same DCC bus. Not only that, but all my pieces of layout have a single accessory address standard, so if they're linked together, they're contollable as a single layout no matter what.

The first question was that the Inglenook would need to be able to interface with the Kato Unitrack/Unijoiners on the T-TRAK modules. I did this by carving a rebate in the baseboard to let me add a short section of Unitrack to the tail track of the Inglenook at the same rail height as the rest of the flex track on it.

The next step was to shim up the Inglenook so it would be at the same height as T-TRAK modules. I also covered the gap in the baseboard around the short section of Unitrack with Sculptamold.
With the height established, it was just a press fit to connect them.
I had already designed both the Inglenook and my T-TRAK modules to be electrically compatible over a single DCC bus, so running a train from one to the other is no problem:
I'll expand the Inglenook as opportunity presents itself with T-TRAK compatibility in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment