Sunday, December 12, 2021

Paper Buildings On The Franklin & South Manchester

I've never visited George Sellios's Franklin & South Manchester layout. (I almost did when I had a work assignment in Connecticut 25 years ago and did get to visit the late Earl Smallshaw's layout. He asked me if I wanted to visit the F&SM; although there wasn't an open house scheduled, he said he could get me in if I wanted to. Unfortunately, my schedule didn't allow it.) However, I seek out every photo of the F&SM I can find on the web.

One thing I've been noticing is how much in recent years he's been using paper building flats. In some cases he turns them into 3-D structures, and he often kitbashes them from other paper flats or mingles them with his own handiwork. I've noticed that a lot came from the forner King Mill line, and there are a few cut out from Walthers backgrounds. Others I can't identify. The background buildings below seem to come from several sources, but I don't think I can identify them.

The apiary building below is either kitbashed from a building flat I can't idntify or possibly made from a UK paper kit.
The background buildinigs below are mostly cut out and kitbashed from former King Mill flats.
The scene below has a King Mill flat adjoining a 3-D building by George.
The background here is a whole series of kitbashed King Mill flats.
One thing he often does is cut out advertising signs from other sources and paste them onto the flats. He also adds 3-D detail parts like vents, chimneys, fire escapes, and window fans to give them a fuller 3-D effect. I find this sort of thing inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment