Sunday, July 7, 2024

Loads For The Ertl Gondolas

Coming back to the Ertl Collectible cars, Ertl offered loads for all of them. They were mounted on floors that could be substituted for the bare floors in the cars, but actually, none of those loads looks right to my eyes.

So I went looking for other choices. The Ertl Lehigh Valley gon is in a number series that I believe is actually company service, so I went looking for a load that might be believable inthat context. I'd had a Chooch cas resin load for an EMD 567 prime mover covered with a tarp that looked like a logical choice, so I put it in. I haven't been able to find anyh current listing for this product on the web, so I assume it's out of production, and I can't find a SKU for it.

The model below is from a new supplier who sells on eBay as well as a web site, Earnesttrains.com. This is an HO 30 ft heat exchanger. It's a simple 3D printed kit that comes unpainted. I painted it with a spray can of Tamiya Aircraft Gray, as I did a search on the web and found that heat exchangers are typically painted silver or light gray.

Earnesttrains has a lot of similar loads, including Alco, EMD, and Baldwin prime movers.

Below is a Chooch 7286 Barium Oxide Bin load. I had a hard time finding anything about barium oxide on the web, but apparently it is, or was, used to make cathode ray tubes. I cut off one pair of bins to get the load to fit the Ertl gon. The bins seem generic enough to fit a range of possible service.

No comments:

Post a Comment