Tuesday, January 19, 2016

How I Operate

With two operations-related posts on blogs I follow (here and here), I thought I'd give my own variation on this theme. I use the JMRI computer-based switchlist generator. I don't use any other type of train order, since I operate solo, and I basically work a switchlist in as many sessions as I need to get it done.

Here is the JMRI switchlist for a typical job, the Manhattan Transfer station switcher:

Here is a view of the Manhattan Transfer station area. The whole Manhattan Transfer yard-station here is 10 tracks, 9 of which are yard or station tracks. They are numbered 1 to 9 starting from the one in the foreground:

For the purposes of building switchlists, the tracks are divided into two conceptual "stations". Tracks 1 and 2 (subdivided with A to designate particular locations) as well as the spurs for Railway Express and Forley Lithography are "Manhattan Transfer - 1". Tracks 4 through 9 are yard tracks and designated just "Manhattan Transfer". (Tracks 2 and 3 are kept clear and not used as car destinations.)

Most of the station switcher's work is moving baggage-express equipment from the destination spurs and designated platform locations to and from the yard. Here are some scenes from working the switchlist shown above:

I use the Kadee 308 under-the-track magnet. I use a yellow stripe on the rail to identify its location. These are maybe 80% reliable and need the couplers to be well adjusted. McHenrys and Accumates don't work well with them.

5 comments:

  1. Wow John the JMRI list look like it works great! How difficult was this to put in place and utilize? I'm definitely of a low tech mind in a high tech world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a non-trivial effort, but not really a high-tech thing. If you can set up and maintain a blog, you should be able to get the JMRI system working. The key is to start small and try things in steps. And it's free, so no financial risk, anyhow. If you decide to try it, I'll be happy to help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info and offer of assistance John. I will check it out before the weekend is over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John,

    That's probably the clearest description of JMRI ops I've seen. The photos are nicely illustrative too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad this is helpful. John R, if you begin playing with JMRI, don't hesitate to e-mail me (address on the blog page).

    Another advantage of JMRI is that it's also effectively an inventory. I don't know how often I've checked an ad or web site offering a car and discovered I already have it, courtesy of the JMRI files!

    ReplyDelete