Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Dual Use

European models aren't the main focus of my layout, but I do have some. There was a thread about modeling European prototype on the Model Railroader forum recently, but it didn't get a whole lot of replies, and there was a tendency to equate European models with Märklin.

Other than the remaining Märklin 0-6-0T in my last post, my European equipment is all 2-rail DC. The big difference with European models is the flange depth. My understanding is that this is required mainly due to the way 4-wheel European cars interact with the track -- the long wheelbase gives less tolerance for track irregularities. However, European flanges won't run on US code 70 track, and mostly not on US code 83 track. However, European code 83 track is engineered for the deeper flanges, so if you want to run European equipment on code 83, you have to use European track.

I have some code 83 rack that's meant for both US and European equipment, mostly giving US equipment "trackage rights" in "Europe" to reach spurs and staging.

No comments:

Post a Comment