Thursday, August 11, 2016

Howard Fogg P&LE Postcards

Around 1960, my uncle was working at US Steel in Pittsburgh. As a low-level management employee, he sometimes got the little lagniappes the railroads gave US Steel managers to keep the company happy. In this case, he got a set of postcards made from paintings John W Barriger, then-president of the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie, commissioned from Howard Fogg. He passed them on to me. I kept them and recently scanned them. Here are several:

There's a website on Howard Fogg P&LE postcards and an entry on Fogg in Wikipedia. There's something inspiring about Howard Fogg to railfans that we don't seem to see 60 years later. These postcards were really inspiring to me. My connection to Pittsburgh and the P&LE was never more than a few family visits around 1960, but the postcards gave me a continuing interest, and I've posted on some of the P&LE items in my collection.

One puzzle that recently came up was the source for this color scheme on the Bachmann Sound Value S-4:

There was some discussion about this on various forums, and the consensus seems to be that there was never a prototype loco painted in this scheme, but it does appear on a Fogg postcard:

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog entry John. I have a few Howard Fogg copies I cut from a calendar featuring his artwork hanging in my train room. Still have that calendar as I could not bear to throw it away. Interesting tidbit on the P&LE S-4!

    ReplyDelete