Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Not Quite The End Of Rewiring

As I mentioned in my last post, one part of this project has been replacing nearly all the twin-coil switch machines from nearly 30 years ago. This has been a bigger issue because these were installed from the bottom up with a body almost 30 years younger, and the few that are left are pretty far back under the layout. No way I'm climbing back under there.

I had been thinking about what to do when the twin-coils finally gave out for quite a while. Eventually I decided the best thing would be to replace the switches themselves, early Walthers-Shinohara code 83, with Kato Unitrack HO powered #6s. These have the switch machines built into the roadbed, no need to get under the table at all, and just a two-wire hookup to a Digitrax DS52 for control. I decided that all I needed to do was clear out the cork roadbed, cut and carve out a space for the new Kato switch, and move the new one in. In fact, I could just get rid of the old Eshelman turnout link and leave the old twin-coil where it is.

My experience with Kato switches and DCC on my T-Trak layout convinced me this would work. Here's the sequence:

I discovered a spoon is a good tool for prying up cork ballast and dispersing old ballast clumps. A shop vac is then important for cleanup.

The Kato HO Unitrack switches are very robust and operate beautifully. The downside is the tie spacing is a lot wider than is common in the US. I airbrushed some Floquil Railroad Tie Brown over it to de-emphasize the ties.

Test run over the switch. Works great! This was about a 3-day project. One more like this to do, then two Tortoises to hook up to DS52s and a last twin-coil to repace with a Smail.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work John! Progress is certainly being made. It may seem like it's slow after the three days spent on this switch project but it is also steady. And it is most importantly of all progress. Keep up the momentum!

    ReplyDelete