Monday, January 15, 2018

Walthers Mainline SD70ACe

I just got this out of my shop today, only to find that CSX has retired its small number of SD70ACes and is sending them back to Progress Rail.

The CSX units were early examples of the model, apparently built before the Progress Rail regime took over, and had mechanical problems. In addition, the Walthers tooling isn't strictly right for CSX, as it has the gasket recess at the front of the nose. This is similar to what was on the SD60I locos built for Conrail. The lack of noise insulation in the CSX SD70Aces led to crew complaints. Progress Rail is apparently going to rebuild the CSX locos and find a new buyer. CSX meanwhile is concentrating on GE power.

I got the DCC-ready, non-sound version with the idea of installing a Digitrax PX108-2 Power Xtender. I'm discovering two things: the Digitrax PX108-2 is pretty bulky, bigger than a normal HO decoder of any sort these days, and the Walthers Mainline diesels aren't consistently laid out. For instance, the SD60M in fact has enough room in the speaker enclosure that you can put the PX108-2 in there on a non-sound loco. But the SD60 standard cab isn't laid out quite the same, and you need to Dremel out more space.

The SD70ACe is laid out completely differently from the SD60s of either type. I had to cut off the rear of the upper interior frame entirely to fit the PX108-2. and this was a long job and a close run thing.

Once I got the Digitrax DH126 decoder installed, though, all went well, although the DCC-ready loco is wired backward at the factory, and I had to set the configuration variable to reverse when I programmed the loco. The removal of the rear of the upper frame meant I had to forego a rear headlight, but this isn't a big loss.

On this loco, the PX108-2 lets it run for about 24 inches if I cut off the power. This isn't a smooth transition -- I set the momentum CVs 3 and 4 to 1, and this may be affected by the change to capacitor power, But what I'm hoping is that this will greatly reduce outright stalling on hard-to-reach track that's dirty and hard to clean.

4 comments:

  1. Sure was some fancy footwork getting everything packed in the space you had. I admire your skills in doing ugrades like that. I lack neither the knowledge or skills to pull off something like that. I hope you post a video of it running under power. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a fan of Walthers Mainline engines as I've read too many reviews where people put in sound decoders in those units. Besides, too many sound engines running at once distract from some engines that you want to have it. I'll put non-sound decoders in them unless it comes with sound. Walthers Proto engines seem to do well when you put sound in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your courage to make these cuts in the frames to accomplish the installations. Another well done project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a lot of variation in Walthers Mainline. The SD60s and SD70ACes are heavy and good smooth runners. I agree on too many sound locos.

    ReplyDelete