Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Pulpwood Spur

The next industry over from the Jaques grain elevator is the pulpwood spur. This is actually reached from Bay City over the interchange with the German main line. Theoretically, it could serve both German and US equipment, but so far, I don't have any European-prototype pulpwood cars. This industry ships pulpwood to paper mills.

A rearrangement of the separate industry shelf in the storage room adjoining the layout will probably allow a direct connection between the paper mill on that shelf and the main layout once the tunnel through the wall is complete.

Pulpwood has been a common commodity in places like Maine, upstate New York, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and southeastern and south-central US.

The spur is long enough to handle all model pulpwood equipment, at least, what I'm aware of. Here's an Atlas car in my collection:
A vintage Tyco pulpwood car, repainted and lettered with decals from Great Decals:
A Walthers SIECO car:
A Walthers Canadian-style car. These are some of the most common still in contemporary use.
An Ambroid 1 of 5000 MEC-BAR pulpwood car. I mass produced three of these from partial kits I found at a swap meet, but it took several years of on and off effort. This one hasn't yet been lettered.

If anyone wants to set up a virtual pulpwood interchange in the virtual ops program, I'll be happy to exchange info.

4 comments:

  1. Nice to see your pulpwood industry and the pulpwood cars in your fleet. As cool as this looks and I do have a few pulpwood cars I don't think the N.Y.C.T.L. is well suited for this type of interchange. I could be wrong and if I am please let me know asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are the pulpwood loads in the first four pics castings or are they piles of real sticks? Look great in either case! I was thinking of adding something like those to my International Paper Co. facade industry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The load in the gon is a casting by a guy whose masters went to Athearn and are still used by them, painted by me, supplemented with some twigs. The pile at trackside is a Walthers casting, also painted by me.

      Delete
  3. Great looking industry and cars. I’ve seen these operations in Oregon and Florida. I’m with John R. I don’t have any cars or industries that would support the pulpwood business. Still a very interesting modeling set up and display.

    ReplyDelete