Saturday, November 17, 2018

Intermodel Virtual Ops 1A

Well, when John R proposed this project, I was still early in the process of unpacking my intermodal equipment, and by today's start date for the series, I find I'm still quite early in the task of testing, tuning, fixing, and restoring things that have been packed away for 25 years -- in some cases, kits not fully finished.

I'm also getting to know the recent Walthers Mainline SD60s and SD60Ms. So far, I've also installed Digitrax Power Xtenders in the 60Ms, although the newer "triclops" version has a speaker enclosure that's just enough different that it needs quite a bit of Dremel work to get the Xtender to fit. I've found that a loco consist with two Xtender-fitted locos and a non-Xtender one will do quite well around my layout, which has areas that are exposed to outside vents and thus can get very dusty in a hurry.

So here's the train I've been able to put together on a provisional basis, though each time around the layout produces new surprises until I can get everything tuned and adjusted. I think the 5-unit articulated sets are the hardest to get right. Below is the power set, all Walthers Mainline SD60 and SD60Ms. UP was very slow to repaint SP and CNW power after the 1996 mergers.

The first car is a 5-unit set of Walthers 48-foot well Thrall double stacks from the 1990s. I have three versions of this kit. The only one I was able to get running reliably for this session was this one, which I showed in my last post, with BN lettering. For now, I'm running only single stacks until I get things tuned and debugged.
The next car is a 5-unit set of 48-foot spine cars, also a Walthers kit from the 1990s.
Finally an Athearn bluebox Santa Fe 10-pack from the 1980s. I saw a lot of these railfanning back then, and although they were painted white, they almost immediately turned greasy black, which is how I weathered mine.
I'm starting to like this camera angle a lot. I need to finish the rocks and mountainside behind the train to finalize it.
Leaving Tunnel 6:
The power enters Tunnel 5:
I'm a little disappointed that Walthers numbered and striped the UP SD60s for the post-2000 or so period, although they don't come with ditch lights. And the second, "triclops" run comes with red sill stripes, which puts the paint scheme roughly between the early to mid-2000s, when the SD60s were renumbered into 2200s and higher, and 2010, when the sill stripes turned to yellow. I have very few photos of 2200-2400 SD60Ms with red sill stripes.

But at this stage, I just want to enjoy the locos, which turn out to be very well suited for my layout, and which I've railfanned now for over 20 years.

4 comments:

  1. Fine collection of intermodal rolling stock and great looking consist! I'm impressed with your awareness of the UP paint specs. Thanks for getting the first intermodal virtual ops started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To: Zenith Yard
    From: Terminal Yard

    Acknowledge dispatch of Union Pacific C.O.F.C. / T.O.F.C. Train.

    Terminal Yard out...

    Nice job getting that good looking 20 unit intermodal train running reliably for our first intermodal op. I agree the engines, well cars and spine cars look right at home on your layout. The vistas really give the feeling of the train travelling great distances thru the American west. Well Done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on your Intermodal train. I have to agree the angle where you took the pics of the cars on an angle looks great. While I model CSX and a few others, I'm a little less concerned how accurate some things are on the model. Like your last statement, I want to enjoy my trains as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoyed the segment and Intermodal action. Really nice looking locomotives and equipment. I would have to say this is my second favorite era for Intermodal railroading. Really enjoyed the scenery and layout as well!

    ReplyDelete