Sunday, April 26, 2020

Lockdown Projects: Improving The Atlas Austria FP7

The Atlas Austria FP7 dates from 1975. This was a big improvement for its time over the circa 1950 Athearn/Globe F unit tooling. It was re-released in 1990 with some body detail improvements, a heavier frame, and a new motor, as well as improved paint. The 1975 loco sold for $25. The 1990 one sold for $99.95, which was pricey for its time. Both versions are now in the vintage category, since several manufacturers have since brought out F and FP units with better detail. However, the 1990 locos in particular are still good layout models, with good weight, and they're smooth runners. The DCC install is at the "advanced" level, requiring cuts in PC board traces and soldering in a hardwire decoder.

I have several of these on hand. I decided to work on converting them to DCC and doing what I can to make them look a little better. The biggest defect in appearance that can easily be corrected is the numberboards, which are clear plastic and stick out at an unrealistic angle. I decided if I could paint these and add numbers, it would make an overall difference in how the model looks. I also had some Microscale 87-793 F unit data decal sets on hand, which would give me decals to add step kick plates and the numberboard numbers. The step kick plates would also be subtle improvements.

Here is a 1975-run Soo Line unit I found at a good price on eBay with DCC installed not long ago with kick plates and numberboard numbers added. i had previously also painted the grills silver and touched up the skirts and steps with black:

For comparison, here's how it looked when I got it:
This will be an ongoing project, with the next steps being a winterization hatch and weathering. These lasted into the 1980s on the Soo and were pretty beat up by that time.

I found a 1990-run Soo Line body on eBay pretty cheaply and installed it on a chassis I had on hand. Again, I added kick plates and numberboard numbers.

This will also get a winterization hatch when the lockdown ends and i can go out for glue and paint. The 1990 run locos had their grills already painted silver.

Here is a 1990 run CP loco that I added a Juneco CP style winterization hatch to when I got it. I added the kick plates and numberboard numbers. The loco has been pretty beat up over the 30 years I've had it, and it will get weathering.

With all these locos, I think small changes in paint and detail distract attention from their less-good vintage features. I really like the way they run.

No comments:

Post a Comment