Sunday, September 20, 2020

Finding What's Lost

One thing I'm beginning to understand more clearly is that the freight cars I operate are items I enjoy in and of themselves, since they're often souvenirs of railfan trips, mementos of various sorts, or just tings I likd the look of. Thus I'm less concerned about whether they fit a specific era or layout concept.

I was running a switvch list in JMRI and discovered I couldn't find a particular car, WP 1442, where it was supposed to be, on Track 1 in Zenith. I looked all over for it, but as is sometimes the case, I just coudn't locate it. Luckily, JMRI understands stuff happens, and it allows me to remove the car from the train. I did this, but rather than reprint the switchlist, I just crossed out the car:

Naturally, life being life, I found the car right after I crossed it off the list and deleted it from the train. WP 1442 is a great favorite of mine. It's a 30-year old Roundhouse bulkhead flat with an N Scale of Nevada printed paper HO lumber load. I got both one day at the old Allied Models on Pico Bl in Los Angeles.
All's well that ends well. I caught up with the train, put the car at its destination by hand, and updated the JMRI file with the destination it was meant to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment