Sunday, March 21, 2021

T-Trak Expansion

I've been continuing to experiment with the idea of T-Trak for home layout use. As the mainstream concept has evolved, it still isn't much more than a series of tail-chasing continuous loops with, at best, a set of big "staging track" yard modules that feed the individual loops. As I've worked on T-Trak at fome with DCC, I've found that with crossovers between mains, you can hold trains on sections of the double track and route trains in either direction around them -- sort of a slo-mo CTC. /

My original project expanded onto a 30 x 72 nch folding table. As time went on, I built additonal modules, at first intended to branch off from the original oval on the table and run onto an old desk, as in the photo below.

However, I slowly begsn to realize that if I got rid of the old desk and rearranged a few other things, I could replace it with a second 30 x 72 inch folding table. In fact, I began to realize that I had enough modules that, with the addition of just one more double-wide module kit, I could reconfigure the existing modules into an L-shaped layout.

I drew each module I have to scale using a Kato transparent plastic Unitrack planner, scanned and printed my drawings out, and came up with the drawing below. It's messy due to all the copying, cutting, and pasting, but it gave me an idea:

This will give the newer modules I've built a home, like those below:
The kit I have left to buy will be a double wide recessed deck to hold the Richmond Main Street Station project:

No comments:

Post a Comment