Sunday, November 13, 2022

More Work With The Cardboard T-TRAK Module

Since I'm using recycled cardboard and track and scenery components from former layouts, this is all a cheap experiment, and if it doesn't work out, I can just deconstruct things or toss it all. But I have a number of DVDs covering Norfolk Southern operations on its Pocahontas Division, especially some of the coal branches, and I wanted to try to see what kind of Virginia-West Virginia coal branch scenery I could squeeze into less than one square foot.
I had a couple of tunnel portals from former N layouts that I decided to reuse. One is an old Alexander Scale Models Lough portal; the other is a Chooch rock portal. I set them up about an inch and a half apart. The short length of the "tunnel" will be concealed with scenery.
I tested the clearances with a Micro Trains high cube boxcar. I had to raise the Chooch rock portal with my Dremel.
I added profiles for the eventual landforms with more corrugated cardboard. Hardshell lattice will be attached to these.
Here's a view of the side with the Chooch rock portal.
I drove an hour to a hobby shop that carries Arizona Rock & Mineral ballast. I found some N White Limestone ballast that matches what the NS uses on its Buchanan Branch. Again, the switch is an old Peco that I damaged removing it from an old layout. It's scenery only and will lead to an abandoned spur.

No comments:

Post a Comment