Sunday, February 5, 2023

Atlas Kato C424

Here's an Atlas Kato Reading C424 that I recently found on eBay. I'd put it on my watchlist, and as sometimes happens, the seller offered me a 20% discount, which I decided to accept. When the loco arrived, it was in mint condition, probably never out of the box. There was no wear at all on the wheels.

I've converted a lot of the Atlas Kato locos I first got 40 years ago to DCC, and they're still among the best-running locos I've ever had. In detail, they're still generally comparable to Walthers Mainline or ScaleTrains Operator level, but where DC Mainline or Operator level locos are now over $100, if you look carefully, you can still find Atlas Kato locos in the $60-80 range on eBay, which says to me they're among the best current bargains in the hobby especially when, like this one, they're new old stock.

I got this one to upgrade with CMR ND-1226 Conrail patch decals made specifically for the Reading C424. I'll post photos when the project is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment