Sunday, March 26, 2023

Progress On Switch Replacement In Zenith Yard

As I've posted, I have a project in which I've replaced the last twin coil switch machines on my layout, but because I no longer want to climb under the table to do things like this, I replaced those switches, as well as the connecting tracks in the area, with Kato HO Unitrack. The switch machines for Unitrack are remote, but they're contained entirely inside the roadbed, which means I didn't have to do any work under the table.

I've begun the task of bringing scenery up to the level of the rails and ties, which is the biggest step to disguising the look of the Unitrack. I'm using Sculptamold mixed with craft paint to do this.

When the Sculptamold is dry, I'll cover it with cinders and other ground cover. It will be less of a vivid red as it dries, but the color is mainly to keep little patches of white from peeking through the cinders. I'll also experiment with extending a very thin layer of cinders over the Unitrack itself, as well as painting tbhe sides of the rails.

No comments:

Post a Comment