Sunday, October 29, 2023

Micro Trains Horse Cars

I recently found these Micro Trains horse cars in special at TrainWorld:
I was able to ride old-style passenger trains as a young railfan for about the last dozen years before Amtrak. Horse cars were still around and being used in secondary passenger and mail-and-express trains up to 1971 -- one of my last rides wes on the Santa Fe Super Chief in late 1970, and I saw Santa Fe horse cars in the Chicago coach yard then. If any are still around, they're in museums or work train service.

I also think that by the 1960s, race horses were mostly being flown or towed in highway trailers, so although so-called "horse cars" had stalls for horses, they could be folded away and used in ordinary express service, which was mostly what they were in during the last years of pre-Amtrak passenger service. However, they do turn up in videos of trains in that final era.

I like the Micro Trains models, because they're a different take on baggage and express type cars and will fill in a mail-and-express consist nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment