Sunday, October 18, 2020

Scenery Work

I mounted the kitbashed grouop of low-relief buildings from my last post at their final location, covering up an HVAC duct behind Egg Cabin in West Egg:
This gives me a whole new photo angle for taking pictures of equipment. Below is a Walthers Mainline New Haven GP9:
Then I moved to the Appalachian scenery on the other side of the room. I had removed most of the fascia from the layout in this area when I replaced the DC wiring with a 14 AWG DCC bus. It took me a while to put the fascia back in place, but now that I have, I've gone back to finishing some scenery work.

I decided to add a Rail Scale Models tobacco drying shed to a hillside I'd roughed out with plaster cloth. I built up an area to mount it with a piece of foamcoare, leveled out with bits of scrap foamcore and white foam. I used a circular level designed for turntables or cameras to be sure the surface was level in all directions:

I ordered a 3-pound bag of Sculptamold off eBay and mixed up a batch with cheap raw umber acrylic to build up a basic ground surface around it:
You can see the basic tobacco shed assembly in place.

I extended the Sculptamold ground cover to the rest of the scenic area on this hillside and will begin more extensive scenery work around the tunnel portal.

No comments:

Post a Comment