Saturday, February 21, 2015

P&LE GP7s

Speaking of New York Central, I was never really local to the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie, having grown up in New Jersey and Maryland before spending time in New England and moving to California, but my uncle worked for US Steel about 1960 and was in a position to get gimmees from time to time from Pittsburgh railroads. Apparently the P&LE gave him a set of Howard Fogg-painted postcards, which he passed on to me, and which remain favorite items. So I do have a fondness for P&LE as well as NYC. I just ordered a Bachmann GP7 in NYC lightning stripe paint with System lettering and P&LE number:

This is an absolutely beautiful loco. It was a little rough running from the start, but it should do well after running in. However, I already have an Atlas Classic GP7 also numbered 5676 but in P&LE "Pacemaker green":

So I'll need to renumber the Bachmann. It looks like 5676 was delivered in lightning stripe and later repainted green. I also note that the Bachmann incorrectly has the F at the short hood end, no biggie, I'll fix it when I renumber, and will also need to change the direction bit when I reprogram it.

1 comment:

  1. The P&LE GP7 were delivered in Pacemaker Green and lightning stripes...

    ReplyDelete