Saturday, April 4, 2015

Athearn Bluebox

Athearn stopped making its domestically produced bluebox kits around ten years ago, but they were largely supplanted after Athearn was purchased by a venture capital firm about 2000, upgraded its product line, and began outsourcing its manufacturing to China. As a result, Athearn bluebox items have achieved "vintage" or "classic" status. I never built my roster with a focus on bluebox, and I always wanted to add detail and repaint most of my equipment. Still, I'm fond of the bluebox stuff I have, and I recently discovered some projects that had been on the back burner for 25 or more years, having never been unpacked following our move to our present home.

Here's a U28C shell that I'm completing, almost ready for paint. It will be a PRR unit. I removed the equipment box on the fireman's side running board behind the cab, the nose light, and the cab roof vents, which were SP features.

Here's a bluebox twin hopper ready for decals, waiting for Mount Vernon Shops to get PRR H31 lettering back in stock:

On bluebox freight cars, I always replace the coupler pockets, with their clip-on metal covers, with Kadee boxes screwed in place. Here this is shown on the H31 above. I also added some extra weight between the discharges with low temp metal:

Here is a Kadee box screwed into the metal weight on a bluebox 50-foot boxcar, modified to a Santa Fe Fe-24:

Here's a bluebox Train Master, remotored and converted to DCC:

1 comment:

  1. Nice Projects John! Looking forward to seeing that U28C in PRR livery as well as the hopper car. Nice touch screwing on the Kadee coupler boxes. I noted in picture 3 the BB steel weight showing signs of rust which was common on the BB weights, axles and coupler clips. I rejuvenated many a BB car and an easy upgrade is to wire brush the weights and spray paint them with flat black or brown as you did with the hopper car. Look forward to seeing more of your layout and projects
    John

    ReplyDelete