Thursday, October 29, 2015

More BNSF Railfan Fun

I went out railfanning again this week. I got a fun shot of BNSF power at UP's West Colton yard with UP power in the background:

BNSF power comes into West Colton on a transfer to Barstow.

Later in the day I caught very rare foreign power on a BNSF train at Cajon siding:

In recent weeks, I've spotted a number of Tier 4 GE demo or lease units on Cajon Pass. GECX ET44AC 2043 is the blue unit on the lower track:

So far, I haven't seen one leading. However, I did catch a less distant shot of one, GECX 2030 on Sullivan's curve:

Notice, though, that ET44 GECX 2030 lacks the dip in the roofline in front of the radiator that's on the BNSF ET44 3912:

2 comments:

  1. Great topic, great photos, great scenery! A very well done and informative series John. I checked out the "hump on the long hood" and found this information;

    Tier 4-compliant GEVO's feature much larger radiators with split cooling. Pre-production demonstrator GEVO's also feature a "hump" in the middle of the long hood, which houses a urea-injection exhaust after treatment system. No railroad has ordered the urea after treatment system, making the "hump" irrelevant on Tier 4 production models. The Tier 4 units have been unofficially named "ET" rather than "ES", the "T" stands for "Tier 4". This designation is currently only used by BNSF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, that's really good info, I wasn't aware of that.

    ReplyDelete