Thursday, June 9, 2016

Tweaks

This week I finished some tweaks to a Roundhouse boxcar I picked up a couple of years ago at a swap meet. Here it is as it was when I brought it home:

Here it is after the more or less standard things I do to get a car on the layout:

I had a bottle of Polly Scale MEC yellow and painted the bare plastic black brake wheel. I don't remember if the prior owner had equipped it with metal wheels, but I painted the wheel faces and Kadees with the former Floquil Rail Brown. Truck sideframes and underbody painted grimy black. ACI label added. Here's a prototye photo:

Clearly it needs a weathering job too.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work John. The painting of the brake wheel, trucks, wheels and couplers really adds a lot to make it look like an actual boxcar. As you noted the yellow is bright but it looked like this the day it rolled out into revenue service. Depending on where you see the car fitting into your overall period of modeling should be a good guide to any planned weathering.

    ReplyDelete