Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Eye Candy

One of the modelers who inspires me is John Allen, and it's worth pointing out that Allen wasn't especially keen on maintaining era or location consistency on his G&D.

But the prototype isn't all that era- or location-specific. We see preserved locos like NKP 765 touring all over the country, for instance, or tourist-"heritage" railroads like the Strasburg operating 100-year-old steam locos in freight, mixed, or charter-freight service.

My own layout keeps a tourist-museum flavor, in part because I like to visit such railroads. They're fun to railfan and fun to ride. One thing I enjoy is looking at their "back lots". Here's a shay carcass I found, fr instance, on the Roaring Camp and Big Trees some years ago:

Recently I found a supplier called Rusty Rail, which makes a lot of "eye candy" style detail castings in both O and HO scale. I was immediately drawn to their derelict shay engine (scroll down), which reminds me a lot of the W.M.Ritter Shay in Felton. It arrived in yesterday's mail.

It turns out to be well-detailed and reasonably priced. It will also fit where I intended to put it with only a little trimming on the base:

This will be the start of detailing this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment