Thursday, July 7, 2016

Gondola Scrap Loads

In my last post, I linked to this Youtube video showing gondola scrap loads I like a great deal. The modeler sets his layout in the 1960s, and I've sometimes seen scrap loads like this in DVDs from that period. I think I may start working on a load like that.

However, there don't seem to be loads like that on the prototype any more. Here are some that I've caught at West Colton:

The ones above are fairly easy to find as resin castings on the web. Here are two gons I did with web castings, painted and weathered with chalk and drybrushing:

Comparing the model photo with the prototype, it looks like I could go over the loads with a little more brown and black.

Here's another style. It looks like steel mills are more interested in scrap ground more finely like this:

This eBay seller does loads like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment