Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Bachmann E7 -- III

I was able to figure out what the DCC-ready PC board provides for lighting options on the E7. Here is what I found: the headlight and warning light LEDs (on the locos that have warning lights) are surface mount LEDs directly attached to the nose PC board. Without really major micro PC board surgery, it isn't possible to separate these headlight LED circuits to control them separately. They are reached via the green and blue wires from the end of the PC board. The number board LEDs are on a separate circuit reached via a yellow and red wire coming from the side of the main PC board. You can control these separately via either the green or violet wire from a multi function decoder. However, you will need to connect the wire from the LEDs that you use for this via a resistor -- I used 560 ohm. Works via F2 now. Wish you could set up the warning light separately, and if someone figures this out, I'd like to hear it!

I found this YouTube video that shows a sound-equipped loco that does control the warning light separately from the headlight:


Here is the chassis for my E7 with a Digitrax DH166 installed and the violet wire from the decoder going to the numberboards. The blue shrink wrap covers a 560 ohm resistor in series with the numberboard LEDs.

I sprayed the trucks and fuel tank Scalecoat UP gray. I also weathered the air intakes on the body. Both are a big improvement:

Here are the numberboards lit, along with the headlights:

Here they are turned off separately via F2:

1 comment: