Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Bachmann PC GP40

About the best thing I could find that fit my budget in the runup to the holidays was a sale-priced Bachmann PC-lettered GP40 listed as a "warehouse find no restock expected". Over 40 years, Bachmann has improved to the point that it's reasonably priced with acceptable detail and operation, but it's not top of the line.

But the features tend to change from year to year. I was hoping that this PC unit, listed as some sort of old stock, would have an 8-pin DCC plug, which older GP40s have. No such luck -- for whatever reason, it had the newer motherboard with an integrated decoder. To switch decoders, I would need to toss the motherboard and install a new one via hardwire.

The biggest problem with the Bachmann decoders is that they allow only limited CV programming, and they include a compulsory speed curve that can't be worked around. I most prefer "DCC ready" Bachmann diesels, which are very inexpensive on the web and have 8-pin sockets. My second preference is the older DCC on board versions with the 8-pin decoder that can be swapped out easily.

I wound up taking a full day to hardwire a new decoder in this GP40:

Here's the unit with the shell back on:

I'm not pleased with the light effect. It's probably good as a mid-consist unit. It will get an ACI label and a train control box, and it looks like it will need some speed programming to match my other units, but with the new decoder, this is do-able.

2 comments:

  1. Good ol 3007! Both Ralph V and I have this locomotive as well. We run it in DC so the decoder issue is not something that affects us. We both noted the engine tends to be a bit loud and we call it the growler. I wished they would have made it a heavier and included a motor with flywheels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple of these units in BNSF paint schemes. I normally run them together and agree with John R, a bit noisy. You a braver soul than I, doing all of that work with DCC. It looks like Bachmann did a decent job with the Penn Central paint and lettering.

    ReplyDelete