Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Blast From The Past

I was going through the great swap meet we all have in our closets and pulled out some items that had been packed away since we moved into this house about 25 years ago. Here's a photo of the layout I was working on in our former place:

The locos are Rail Power Products kits on Proto Power West chassis. None has been converted to DCC yet, but I still have them. The benchwork in view was moved to our current place and is part of the current layout.

Here are some Con-Cor hoppers that in fact may have been in the train behind the Conrail locos. I find they were optimized for my current style of operation, with low-temperature alloy poured in the crevices in the underframe to add weight, Kadees mounted with screws, and metal wheels:

Here's a Roundhouse RBL car whose prorotype I saw pretty frequently in the 1980s and lettered with Microscale decals:

I think these hauled mostly wine. Here's a prototype shot. The model is very approximate, but it was the best you could do in the 1980s without major kitbashing.

1 comment:

  1. Great finds John! Looks like there is model railroading treasure in that there closet!! 100 Ton coal hoppers, Conrail engines and a nicely painted and lettered SP RBL!

    ReplyDelete