Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Train DVDs And Early N&W Diesels

There were several railroads that were hard for me to railfan as a kid growing up on the east coast (my family moved to California, as a practical matter not long after I got my driver's license, since I went away to college about then as well). One was the N&W, which until the 1964 Wabash-NKP merger was hard to reach at all, and after the merger basically just occupied flyover country anyhow. So maybe because of that, it always fascinated me, not just for the steam, but for the interesting diesel operations.

DVD railfan footage has been just as hard to get for the period roughly 1957-1970. Emery Gulash has some N&W shots in the Penn Central Volume I Part I, and also in later shots on his Wabash DVD after the merger. Green Frog has some other DVDs with N&W material from this period. I get everything I can!

Here are some recent acquisitions. First, Walthers was clearing out its last run of GP30s, ans one turned up on line at an excellent price.

I found an Atlas/Kato yellowbox C425 in N&W blue for a very good price on eBay:

I installed DCC with a Digitrax DH165A0 and replaced the incandescent headlight bulb with an LED. These yellowbox centuries run beautifully and can be great bargains on eBay.

Here's an older Atlas Trainman RS-36 that I recently installed a decoder in:

1 comment:

  1. Hi John! Now living in the south i have been introduced to the High Hood GPs, SDs etc. At first a little unusual but after seeing them on locals and in museums I've gotten used to them. Your ALCOs look great and would look great in PC colors....;)

    ReplyDelete