Thursday, February 22, 2018

Background Flats And Low-Relief Buildings

I've been working again on backgrounbd flats and low-relief buildings. These give a lot of options for urban layouts, but they have other uses. I periodically get into project jags where I do more of them, but I'm starting to reach a point where there are fewer and fewer places to put them on my current layout. Here's the spot where I've used them to best effect, in my view, the stub terminal background area in Mahnattan Transfer:

I use a mixture of scratchbuilt and commercial products. Here's a closeup of the area on the far right, still in progress. The wood building is a Fos Scale Forley Lithography, intended as a low-relief building, now out of production, but Fos has similar kits still available. Another toward the middle is a Walthers plastic low-relief, while others are King Mill, some assembled onto foamcore mandrels:
At the opposite end of the room is Sunkist, with a Showcase Miniatures packing plant along with scratchbuilt structures:
Here is one by itself in rural scenery:
I recently finished a new set and put it in an area of West Egg to help fill in a background:

4 comments:

  1. Looks great! I've become a big fan of flats to fill in not only on long walls but for active industries as well..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Neal, they look great. My favorite is the are at Manhattan Transfer. Very convincing city with the backgrounds you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flats are very effective John!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well done and inspiring. A great way to add scenery to tight spaces:

    ReplyDelete