Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Finished The Springfield, MA Baggage Elevator

In my last post, I showed a paper mockup of an N model of the baggage elevator at the Springfield, MA Union Station that shows up in many YouTube videos. I don't think it's used as an elevator any more, but it seems to have some function for running electrical conduits up to the platform level of the station.

I eyeballed the dimensions to suit a passenger platform I'd added to a temporary stage that I'm using for my T-trak layout in progress. If nothing else, it's a good place to put out-of-service locos, but I could also use it to stage short passenger trains, which do in fact run out of Springfield.

Here's the finished version that I made from styrene, after tweaking a few dimensions based on comparing the paper mockup to the prototype:

Showcase Miniatures makes some N scale electrical cabinets that I'll probably add. I also need to add some roofing. I couldn't find an Amtrak sign that matches the prototype, but I did scrounge one from the Kato North American station kit. If I can find something closer to the prototype, I'll use it.

This project has been so much fun that I have some more ideas on how to scenic this little area, so stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Nice job John!!!! Looking forward to the next details added to the scene.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool and different! I like what you did with the structure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, this layout has a whole different set of challenges that are turning out to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking project. Thanks for the information on the baggage elevator.

    ReplyDelete