Sunday, February 10, 2019

T-trak Scenery Work

Here's a track-level shot of a P42 at the Empire tunnel portal:
I received the Scenic Express "Pennsy" double track portals for the Virginia Avenue end of this tunnel. I had to hack away at one of them pretty severely to get Superliners and Chicago style bi-levels through:
Once I get it painted and weathered with scenery brought around it, this should be less visible.

Then I turned to landforms at the other end of the layout. I followed the inspiration of YouTuber Roy Smith and used white foam shaped with Dragon Skin abrasive material and then covered with spackle:

Then I gave it a base coat of earth-colored craft paint. I find this for a little over a buck a bottle at Michaels. (The paper rectangle in the photo is to size a structure kit I'm planning to add there.)
However, I wanted to provide a dirt type scenic base on which I will eventually add trees and other shrubbery. In the past, I've used sifted dirt for this, but I'm out of sifted dirt. I thought I'd try another experiment. I remembered a friend who told me that the way to make European style coffee in the US is to get ordinary US coffee and put it through a coffee grinder a second time. So I decided I'd see what happened if I ran coffee grounds through a coffee grinder -- could I get something like scale dirt?

I gave it a try. Actually, it didn't make the coffee grounds much finer. (I'm not sure how my friend's idea would work for getting European coffee this way, either.) But it was a slight improvement:

I brushed white glue over the landforms and then sprinkled the coffee grounds on top. Then I followed up with Woodland Scenics extra-fine turf in Burnt Grass and Blended colors. Then I misted water from a garden sprayer over everything to get the white glue to soak in without disturbing the grass or coffee grounds:
The scenery smells like coffee when it's first wet, but once it dries out, the smell goes away. Or so I think. Maybe I just get used to it! Below is a train in the new scenery:
I need to finish installing decoders and other hardware below the surfaces of these modules before I add trees. I'll be using NCE Illuminators, DCC versions of the Just Plug light hub, on nearly all of my modules, so I need to finish this work so I don't have to turn the modules over after I've added delicate features like trees to the tops. Other hardware, like terminal strips and stationary decoders for switches, is already installed.

3 comments:

  1. Some nice looking scenery and tips for the layout. The coffee trick looks interesting, it looks good mixed in with the ground foam. Thanks for sharing the information and tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've made some really nice progress on the T Track module. Nice shot of the P42 coming out of the W45th Street tunnel! You know you can always put in a Starbucks or a Dunkin Donuts with some police cars near the coffee ground hills.😊 Everything's looking good. Looking forward to seeing the next update!

    ReplyDelete