Sunday, January 15, 2023

ScaleTrains HO Norfolk Southern 9-40CW

Just yesterday I got one of the new-run ScaleTrains HO Norfolk Southern 9-40CWs in the mail. For whatever reason, these were delivered to NS with 4000 horsepower rather than 4400, but with no mechanical differences from the 4400 implied in the GE 9-44CW model designation. The railfan press at the time said this could be changed to 4400 horsepower with just a software change that could be implemented by a road foreman of engines. I had a chance to chat with an NS engineer around that time, but he said he didn't think a road foreman would be able to do something like that. Since then, I've heard nothing.

I certainly like ScaleTrains locos,. This afternoon I programmed mine and added it to my JMRI roster. As far as I can see, the DCC defaults are best for very large or club size layouts, with a fair amount of extra momentum built in for acceleration and deceleration, as well as a prime mover delay in the acceleration sound that makes the engine rev up a few seconds before the loco starts moving. If that's what you like, great. My layout is small enough that I like more instant controllability.

I changed CVs 3 and 4 to 0 to limit acceleration and deceleration momentum. I changed CV 124 to 16 to eliminate the prime mover delay. All these will let me run a ScaleTrains loco with ESU LokSound 5 in multiple with locos with other makes of decoder, and I also just feel more comfortable with the faster throttle response.

My next step will be to change out the couplers for Kadees.

These locos make it out to California, so I've been able to shoot some without traveling back east.

No comments:

Post a Comment