Sunday, May 19, 2019

Redoing The Staging Cassette

In my last post, I mentioned that I had more in mind for a staging cassette that I roughed out from scrap pieces of white foam and foamcore earlier this year. This was little more than a proof of concept, and it was pretty flimsy, but it turned out to be so useful for my T-Trak project that I decided to upgrade it to full module specs. One thing that encouraged me was that I found that Masterpiece Modules makes a double width-half depth module kit. Overall dimensions are roughly 24" by 6.5", which is a little larger than the staging cassette I roughed out.
One feature I like about Masterpiece Modules is that it provides predrilled holes that match the mounting holes in Kato Unitrack, along with self-tapping screws to fasten the track down. So I added some Unitrack sections I had on hand after painting the top surface with gray craft paint:
I didn't worry about the transition from concrete ties to wood, as this sort of thing is sometimes visible on Amtrak routes in the northeast.

Among other things, I decided to make this module potentially compatible with a standard T-Trak layout at a meet. Primarily the difference between my modules and T-Trak standards is that mine have a BWBW wiring scheme, while T-Trak uses BWWB. (I like BWBW because it lets me use crossovers between main lines and operate smoothly with DCC.) But I added a DPDT toggle that will reverse the wiring on the inside track from BWBW to BWWB if needed.

In addition to the terminal strip, I've added an NCE Illuminator DCC lighting decoder that will allow me to use Woodland Scenics Just Plug lighting features. The toggle faces the inside edge of the module to avoid having it where it could inadvertently be thrown by casual observers.

I added platforms from the roughed-out cassette, and on the inside I added the tie strip from an old section of N flex track to represent an abandoned track. I started some basic "dirting in", but this will eventually be the last thing I finish.

I made a second baggage elevator to match the first one and installed building flats from the Anglie's Trackside Flats eBay store, most transferred from the original cassette:
I will add Walthers Cornerstone butterfly platforms to the left of the baggage elevators. This will bring the scene to a closer approximation of the Springfield, MA Amtrak station.

2 comments:

  1. That's coming along great. Like how this will turn out like the Amtrak station. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Sir Neal!!! It really is coming along great!

    ReplyDelete