Thursday, July 2, 2015

The Sunkist Lead -- I

My layout is divided into different prototype areas, broadly representing California, Colorado, and various places on the East Coast-Midwest. The most recent addition is the Sunkist Lead, which I sort of tacked onto the existing Southern California section of the layout.

I want to represent certain light-traffic leads and branchlines I'd gotten to know, mostly under Southern Pacific, now either abandoned or either Union Pacific or San Joaquin Valley lines. Below are some prototype shots that I've used as inspiration. First, the Declezville Lead, a very old industrial lead, still active under UP, that heads south from the former SP Sunset Route not far west of West Colton Yard:

The former SP Coalinga Branch in Hanford, CA, now San Joaquin Valley:

A warehouse in Arvin, CA. This line, now out of service, was formerly operated in alternate years by the Santa Fe and SP:

A San Joaquin Valley Railroad freight on its Buttonwillow Branch, ex-SP:

Some low-key scenery, on the former Sunset Railroad, now San Joaquin Valley:

I'm trying to incorporate the feel of all these things in this part of my layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment