Friday, October 21, 2016

More Thoughts On DCC

The oldest part of my layout dates from the late 1980s (almost 30 years, come to think of it). There has been a low-priority rewiring project under way for this oldest section -- overdue, as old solder joints are coming loose. The expanded layout was begun in my current home in 1993, with part of it moved from our old place. This was all pretty much pre-DCC, and by about 2000, DCC was still not really mature -- decoders buzzed and required loco frames to be milled out in many cases.

I started adding DCC to operations in early 2013, and since then have concentrated on installing decoders in locos. Since working on my T-Track layout, I've begun to look at the world of stationary decoders, which is leading me to think hard about computer interface. One thing I've come to realize about my HO layout is that it's pretty much reached the limit of what I can accomplish with traditional block control and separate switch machine wiring. Here's an example of what I'm struggling with:

In contrast, here is equivalent wiring for a full DCC application:

Among other things, I can do away with that whole Masonite panel with the lines and switches on it. This is leading me to rethink the rewiring on my HO layout.

1 comment:

  1. I can see how this is one of those rewiring projects that needs to be contemplated and contemplated some more. Would not be looking forward to that undertaking.

    ReplyDelete