Tuesday, October 25, 2016

The Rewiring Project Resumes

As I've said, there has been a low-priority rewiring project under way, focusing especially on the oldest part of my layout, where there are undocumented feeders and wire runs, and where solder joints are coming loose. This had me stumped for a year or so, but the T-track project gave me better insights into DCC, the best way to wire it, and the value it adds.
In 2013, I got the NCE entry-level system, a PowerCab. Previously I had two DC walkaround systems, which the maker discontinued not long after DCC came in, and they were wearing out, with replacement parts no longer made. (But they had a 30 year life, no complaints there.) I disconnected one of the DC systems from the block wiring for one side of the DPDT controls and replaced it with the PowerCab.
However, this was giving me only DCC control of locos with decoders. Once I became aware of what stationary decoders can do, I began to realize I can do away with conventional control panels and a lot of confusing wiring, and eventually use a computer screen to control the layout.
So here's the old wiring. As I said in a previous post, I learned to paste labels and other documentation to terminal strips and so forth, but this was a gradual process, and older parts of the layout don't have this.

As of now, "CAB A" is a former DC walkaround system that has been disabled. The PowerCab was connected to the "CAB B" wiring. Under the current rewiring project, the "CAB B" circuit will be connected to a full DCC bus, for starters on the oldest part of the layout. This will result in 14 gauge wire with a different color code replacing all the green and yellow track circuit wiring, This will take place on a piecemeal basis. Here are some terminal strip panels that had been added but not completed as part of the ongoing rewire project. Here's where this stands:

It will be possible to get rid of all the dangling green and yellow wires. With DCC, there's less wiring, and things can be a lot neater. All the "CAB A" wire, terminal strips. and spade connectors are now surplus and can be recycled, for instance on my T-Track modules:

In honor of the rewiring project, Interstate RS-3 31 pulls a Western Union material car over a stretch of track that will be the first rewired:









1 comment:

  1. Nice work John! You know I really like that jade green wire!

    ReplyDelete