Sunday, June 10, 2018

A Few Quick Upgrades

Here are some upgrades to diesels I've recently made. The first is a Bachmann Canadian Pacific SD40-2. By number and details, it's a Soo Line unit, upgraded on the prototype in later years with dynamic brakes.
The paint on the model is especially nice. The air intake filters on the hood to the left of the roadname are part of the factory paint. I masked off the air intake louvers and painted them grimy black. I added Highball Decals CP-style images for the first aid kit and fire extinguishers. I also added a Details West plow.

Here's another recent Bachmann loco, a Katy GP40 with the new road number 234 on this run. On the prototype these were ex Conrail locos, exx PC.

As with the CP loco, I masked off the air intake louvers and painted them grimy black. I added a Details West plow and A-Line sunshades. Luckily, I still have some Floquil MKT green paint. I've found that the Bachmann couplers, while they work better than Accumates, don't stay coupled if locos are in a consist, so I carve out the coupler pockets and install Kadees mounted with 2-56 screws.

Here's an Athearn bluebox dummy SD40-2:

I believe I used Juneco CP style plows on this and modified it otherwise like the Bachmann loco above. I also added Highball Canadian style marker lights above the front cab windows.

3 comments:

  1. Nice work John, especially the way you painted the air intake louvers. On the dummy Athearn BB SD40-2-did you paint the couplers as well? They look like they're painted a rust color. Scale couplers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they're painted either Tru Color rust or rail brown. I wish someone would bring back the Floquil rail brown shade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job getting those EMDs looking so good and now layout ready. All the improvements make these engines look like they are 1:1 units in revenue service. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete